Skip to main content

My Earth Animation Experience

After finishing the Earth Animation for class, I think I've grown an appreciation for stop motion animation. When me and Thomas started, we decided that the park would be a great place to film our animation. We didn't have a specific way we wanted to create the animation but rather, just find whatever was there and create a more abstract animation. When we got to the park, we had to find a place where the where the ground could be seen easily and there was no man made objects. We found a good area where there was more dirt and objects could be seen easily. Once we found a spot, I set up my DSLR camera on a tripod, and used the sticks, leaves and branches around. Thomas placed each object as I shot each picture. When we had taken enough pictures, we took out the H6 recorder and recorded the sounds in the area. We caught some birds, insects and sounds of the wind. At after that, I went home and edited it all together. Moving each picture on the editing Timeline took some time, putting 1 picture for each half second. Then I separated parts of the audio and mixed other parts of it together. I think the film came out very well, and I'm glad Thomas was there to help set up each shot. Stop motion animation is a cool was to make films and I'm glad we were able to make a film that shows off nature moving around. Seeing the time lapse in the finished film with the shadows moving across the frame and the foot steps outside our small area, was a cool effect we were able to capture. I think that animators have to put a lot of work into their animations just to get a minute out of their films is impressive and I wish I had more patience for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rhythmic Edit Experience

So when I set out on doing my rhythmic edit, it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do. I brainstormed what we could do with my alter ego. I eventually decided on a guy who is very over protective but wants to ride a bike in spite of that. When Porshia came over to my house, I had gathered all my equipment on the table, and went through everything I wanted to do with Porshia. I started with myself getting my gear on, going outside, opening the garage, and getting on my bike. I'm very good at doing stunts on my bike so I knew how to fall properly and the gear I had on helped prevent any injuries. As I was falling down, the neighbor next door asked if I was okay, and I said that I'm fine, I'm doing it on purpose. After we'd finished filming my alter ego, we went and shot Porshia's. I wasn't sure exactly what her alter ego was suppose to be. She had a mask she bought from the drug store, a fake snake and a lighter all together. We started with the lighte

My Rough Theatre

After reading through Peter Brook's "The Rough Theatre", I realize my own experiences with film is varied by the different ways I have made films. I have made documentaries, experimental films and narrative films, but each can made in many different ways. Documentaries, for instance, you can tell them by in strict objective terms, doing a "Voice of God" or speaking for a group of people but not letting them tell their stories. You can also create reenactments for events that happened in the past that you want to portray. I did a documentary where we filmed these Roller Derby girls, asked them questions and watched them play a game. Sadly our audio didn't record so we ended up having to trash it but it was a good learning experience. Experimental films, on the other hand allow the filmmaker greater freedom to create what they want and the viewer to view the film in more interpretive ways. There is no right way to make an experimental film, you just explore