Skip to main content

My Experience with the Bolex long take

I have never really work with a film camera, except for when I took a photography class back in high school. The recording with the Bolex film camera was so much different than working with a video camera. When working with film, unlike video, you have a finite amount of film you can use and once you have used it, that's it. That's why it was necessary for us to rehearse our film before shot it. We had set up our film from the perspective of someone in a hammock reading a book. That person would then look up and see what was going on, with someone dancing, two people playing catch, one person waving, another person looking at their phone before the person would look back down at their book. We did it this way so that if you were to play it backwards it would look pretty much the same like a palindrome. In order to achieve this, we had to find a perfect spot to shoot it. We search for a while around campus until we found a spot outside King Hall where there was a tree we could hang the hammock. After that we gathered some people from class, and then placed them where we needed them to be during the shoot. Once we had taken care of that and shot the film, we headed back and developed the film in the black box. The black box was interesting experience because we had to be in complete darkness in order to develop the film. I now know how blind people feel. A week later, we saw our film on the projector and it turned out very well. In the end I think using the Bolex was cool because we made a old looking type of film and shooting it with my group was so much fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daniel Tammet Different Ways of Knowing Response

After watching the Ted Talk's on Daniel Tammet, I had to applaud him for the fact that even though he is a savant and autistic, he didn't seem like it. Most media portray autism stereotypical and it was refreshing to see someone like Tammet, go above that and even made a joke about how savants are thought as. Going into the Ted Talk, I really enjoyed watching and seeing how his synesthesia makes perceive things differently. When he was talking about how he sees numbers as colors and shapes, I found that very interesting. I see numbers as just numbers, not as a spectrum of colors and shapes. I also liked that he can see the numbers as art, like when he made a painting out of the number pi. Art can be found in almost anything that we can think and Tammet strives to find it in anywhere he can. I also liked his idea of what a word can mean by how it sounds. It is a concept I can get behind and that is how I usually think of words when I try to figure out what they mean. Finally, th...

Rhythmic Edit Experience

So when I set out on doing my rhythmic edit, it took me a while to figure out what I wanted to do. I brainstormed what we could do with my alter ego. I eventually decided on a guy who is very over protective but wants to ride a bike in spite of that. When Porshia came over to my house, I had gathered all my equipment on the table, and went through everything I wanted to do with Porshia. I started with myself getting my gear on, going outside, opening the garage, and getting on my bike. I'm very good at doing stunts on my bike so I knew how to fall properly and the gear I had on helped prevent any injuries. As I was falling down, the neighbor next door asked if I was okay, and I said that I'm fine, I'm doing it on purpose. After we'd finished filming my alter ego, we went and shot Porshia's. I wasn't sure exactly what her alter ego was suppose to be. She had a mask she bought from the drug store, a fake snake and a lighter all together. We started with the lighte...

My Earth Animation Experience

After finishing the Earth Animation for class, I think I've grown an appreciation for stop motion animation. When me and Thomas started, we decided that the park would be a great place to film our animation. We didn't have a specific way we wanted to create the animation but rather, just find whatever was there and create a more abstract animation. When we got to the park, we had to find a place where the where the ground could be seen easily and there was no man made objects. We found a good area where there was more dirt and objects could be seen easily. Once we found a spot, I set up my DSLR camera on a tripod, and used the sticks, leaves and branches around. Thomas placed each object as I shot each picture. When we had taken enough pictures, we took out the H6 recorder and recorded the sounds in the area. We caught some birds, insects and sounds of the wind. At after that, I went home and edited it all together. Moving each picture on the editing Timeline took some time, pu...